As much as I love making healthy recipes, I LOVE making pies, especially key lime. When I first started making key lime, I researched what an authentic version consisted of, and what not to do. For instance, a real key lime pie is not green!
After trying many recipes, I came up with my own and it is pretty darn great.
If you’re having a difficult time finding key limes, don’t worry – it tastes great even with regular limes. I’m in Los Angeles this week, and we couldn’t find key limes anywhere, which is so baffling. I can find them in Nashville and not L.A?! Everyone still loved the pie, including my uncle who has had mine before with key limes, so do not fret! I just called it, “California Lime Pie,” instead. 😉
Please do not try and skimp on time by purchasing a pre-made crust. The crust is one of the best parts about this pie, and every time I’ve made it, people rave about the crust’s deliciousness – do. not. skip. it.
The Best Key Lime Pie Ever
For the crust:
1/2 sleeve of honey graham crackers (about 18 squares) or 1 1/4 cup crushed graham crackers
3/4 stick of unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup sugar
For the pie filling:
2 cans of 14oz sweetened condensed milk
1 lb of key limes or 15 limes (if you use regular limes, taste your batter before you cook it)
2 whole eggs
For the topping:
1 cup sour cream
2.5 tbsp powdered sugar
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a large mixing bowl, crush graham crackers until all are completely crushed.
3. Combine cracker dust, melted butter, and sugar.
4. Press evenly into pie pan and bake 15 minutes.
5. Check crust – with so much butter, the crust tends to sink down into the pan. With a fork, press crust down evenly and bake another 5 minutes.
6. Turn oven down to 325 degrees F.
7. For the filling, mix condensed milk, eggs and squeezed lime juice into mixing bowl. Mix well, and pour into your crust pie shell.
8. Bake for 20 minutes.
9. Remove from oven and place in freezer for at least 10 minutes (it will cool the pie down quicker).
10. Meanwhile, mix sour cream and powdered sugar until combined.
11. Once pie is cooled, spread topping on evenly.
12. Zest lime on top of your pie.
13. Chill for at least 1 hour, and voila!
xoxo – Amber