For Christmas, I was sent a gift basket from an Italian Restaurant in NYC, and still have loads of pasta left. I of course ate the fresh ravioli immediately, but still had some frozen cavatelli left. This simple recipe is delicious and easy. Fix the cod without the pasta, or vice versa if you like!
Lemon Baked Cod with Cavatelli and Tomato Sauce
For the Cod:
4 (6 oz) cod pieces (fresh or frozen)
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/2 lemon, large
Mrs. Dash or no-salt seasoning
For the Cavatelli and Tomato Sauce:
28 oz, canned tomatoes, crushed
5 tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp sugar
2 tsp oregano, dried
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp sea salt
grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Brush olive oil onto both sides of of cod in a 13″ x 8″ pan. Spritz upside of fish with halved lemon, and then sprinkle with Mrs. Dash. Place fresh dill on top.
3. Bake fish for 30 minutes or until fish flakes easily.
4. While fish is cooking, cook pasta as directed on your cavatelli label (depends if it’s fresh or frozen).
5. In a medium saucepan, add olive oil. Once hot, saute’ garlic until golden.
6. Add tomatoes, sugar, salt, pepper, oregano, parsley, and red pepper, and simmer for ten minutes. Reduce heat to low and simmer until fish is done cooking.
7. Place pasta in a bowl, followed by your tomato sauce, and topped with cod.
8. Top with grated Parmesan cheese if you so wish!