Believe it or not, it IS possible to re-create fried rice with cauliflower. When I first tell people this, they never believe me – “But… it can’t possibly taste the same!” That’s where your wrong kiddo, cause it can. I’ll admit, the texture is slightly different, but it can really cure that craving for take-out when all you’ve been thinking about is getting Chinese.
Why cauliflower rice over regular rice? Check out the chart below. 👇
Many cooks prefer fresh cauliflower, but I think having to chop anything is the devil (probably due to my impatient nature). Frozen, riced cauliflower will taste no different than fresh – plus, it’s cheaper! Save yourself the hassle and grab a bag in the freezer section at your favorite grocery store. My all-time favorite variety is by Green Giant.
The key ingredient to fried rice, and keeping the authentic taste is in the oil. You MUST use Sesame Oil in this recipe or it will NOT taste like Chinese Fried Rice. Sesame oil is inexpensive and can be founyd most places. I repeat, YOU MUST USE SESAME OIL. 🙂
This recipe also pairs really well with my Tequila and Lime Shrimp!
TIP: I add extra peas because I like them, and I think the package could use more. Feel free to omit.
Fried Cauliflower Rice
1 – 2 tbsp sesame oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp fresh ginger
1 (12 oz) package of Green Giant Riced Cauliflower Medly
1/4 cup frozen peas
4 tbsp Coconut Aminos (or soy sauce)
1 egg, lightly beaten
1. Heat sesame oil in a large nonstick skillet. Add garlic and ginger over medium and heat 1 minute.
2. Add frozen cauliflower, and peas and cook 5 minutes. Stir frequently (it helps to steam with a lid over the pot as well).
3. Add coconut aminos, and cook 1 more minute.
4. Stir in egg, and let sit before flipping over. Scramble it into rice mixture.
5. Remove from heat, and eat!