It was brought to my attention that I did not have a pesto recipe on my blog. In years past, I’ve been lazy and bought pre-made pesto, but honestly, it’s soooo easy to make, and not full of preservatives. Ingredient wise, it’s pretty inexpensive (minus the pine nuts)!
There’s a ton of different recipes out in the universe for pesto, but I like one that’s heavy on the basil, has a touch of lemon, and doesn’t contain cheese. A good pesto doesn’t need parmesan cheese to taste delicious.
Can you add cheese? Absolutely. You do you, no judgments.
What can you do with pesto?
- Pizza base
- Drizzle on fresh veggies
- Pasta sauce (I added mine to TJ’s Cauliflower Gnocchi in the photos below!)
- Top on scrambled eggs
- Sandwich spread
- Bake into artisan bread
- Use as a dip
- Marinade or salad dressing
The possibilities are endless….
Since this recipe is dairy-free, it is vegan, keto, paleo, and Whole30! Healthy and yummy.
NOTE: This pesto does have lemon in it. If you’re wondering why I didn’t call it “Lemon Basil Pesto,” it’s because it is not a dominant flavor. The lemon pepper and juice give it a better taste, but it does not taste “lemony.” If you want it to, you can definitely add more juice. Lemony pesto is terrific on vegetables or a salad.
TIP: Keep refrigerated for up to 5 days, or freeze for up to 3 months. If freezing, cook basil briefly in salted water (this will help keep it fresh), and spoon into ice cube trays. Freeze overnight, then put cubes into freezer safe Ziploc bag. To defrost, set out for 30 minutes, or heat in microwave in 30 second intervals.
Makes 1 cup
1/2 cup olive oil
2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp sea salt flakes
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 cups fresh basil
1/2 cup fresh parsley
4 tbsp. pine nuts
1. Combine olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and garlic into bowl. Mix well.
2. In food processor or blender, add bowl of oil and spices, plus parsley. Pulse until blended. Add pine nuts, pulse until blended. Add basil, pulse (1 cup of basil at a time if using a blender.) Keep pulsing until mixture is processed and smooth.
3. Serve immediately or freeze (directions for freezing are above).
Let me know if you made this recipe and what you thought! Tag your pics on Insta @goodAFeats! xoxo, Amber